The people living in this part of the Highlands, at the time when history was being put into writing, belonged to a Pictish tribe named Caledonii. The name Caledonia, sometimes used to describe the whole of the Highlands, and also the forests (Caledonian), originated from this source.
The only writings left by the Picts were the Kings Lists. Their main legacy, in the form of carved stones, crosses, slabs and pillars, are referred to as the 'Pictish Symbol Stones'.
|In the Parish of Alvie & Insh, only one of these stones has
been discovered. At Dunachton there is a stone measuring approximately 4 feet long,
by 16 inches wide. On it, there is a deer's head.
The stone came to light in 1870 when a farm steading was being demolished. The stone had been used as a lintel. It is now erected on a plinth, near to Dunachton Lodge.
Dunachton Lodge, is believed to be built on a Pictish site, originally the stronghold of King Nechtan.
King Nechtan, 'king of the Picts of North Britain', died in 732.
Following his death, and until the turn of the century, there was considerable fighting between the incoming Scots of Dalriada, the invading Angles and the Pictish tribes.
In 852 Kenneth MacAlpine, King of Scots, became King of the Picts. This was a major turning point for Scotland, as from this time, Scotland gradually became part of the United Kingdom
..... click below for more historical information
Picts Alvie Church Farming Wolf of Badenoch